Sunday, November 27, 2005

Taste and see that the Lord is good. Psalm 34:8

World's greatest chocolate chip cookies: here is the recipe. Try some, o world, and weep for joy.

I guess this is a little ironic, since my first entry is thoughts I had after being upset with myself for overeating. However! I believe that God gave us wonderful, tasty foods. But to go along with that gift, he gave us the capacity of self-discipline: we get hunger pangs when we need food, and we get “full” feelings when we’ve had enough. I believe we should be guided by those God-installed indicators.

Am I myself always disciplined in this sense? Nope, unfortunately, not nearly as often as I should be; but I am nearly always mindful of it. I know it’s there.

I have read that chocolate is good for you--it contains antioxidents. Can it be true? I've just been waiting for this kind of news all my life.

Alert!! It's best not to use an electric mixer! Just use a big spoon.

Sift together and set aside: Oven: 375
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
a pinch or so of salt
a little over 1/4, but not a full 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Cream together in a big bowl:
2 sticks of margarine; the best is Fleischman's Original, microwaved for 9 seconds, or left out of the refrigerator to soften.
1/2 c. white sugar
1/4 c. turbinado sugar, for slight crunchiness
3/4 c. light brown sugar

Add:
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs (or equal amount of egg substitute)

Dump the dry ingredients into the wet, and stir it as you whisper to it gently. Mix it only until the dry stuff is barely visible any more. Important: Don't over-mix!

Add 3/4 package semi-sweet chocolate chips and 3/4 package milk chocolate chips. Nestle's is best! Sometimes we substitute M&M’s for the milk chocolate chips. (And pecans, if you feel you must.) Stir only long enough to distribute the chocolate chips.

Spoon the dough onto a cookie sheet and bake them for about 8 minutes or so, depending on your oven. You have to watch carefully and take them out when the cookies are lightly browned. Remove them carefully with a spatula and put them on a wire rack to cool.

Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment