Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Thursday Thirteen--Cooks of America, Let Us Unite!

I have a suspicion that high fructose corn syrup is something nasty. I don’t have time to research it right now because of all the hurry and worry of the end of the school term; however, I plan to do some reading about it.

I’ve heard that it makes the blood sugar go up more than refined sugar. And I have noticed that it is in an alarming (and seemingly unnecessary) number of packaged foods that we eat often. Here are some examples that I found lurking in my kitchen:

Worcestershire sauce

Woody’s Cookin’ Sauce

Heinz 57 sauce

Ranch dressing

tomato soup

Chef Boyardee Ravioli

Oroweat 100% whole wheat bread

all yogurt except plain (ugh)

mayonnaise

Wheatsworth crackers (it says “corn syrup”—I suspect that is the same thing.)

Ritz crackers

Nature Valley granola bars

Post bran flakes

Oscar Meyer light wieners (“corn syrup”)

Goldenbrook orange sherbet

Mueslix cereal

Hillshire Farm Deli-Select mesquite smoked turkey lunch meat

Do you think the widespread use of high fructose corn syrup might contribute to the large number of people with diabetes? Cooks of America, we might have to go on a rampage against it!

1 comment:

Lily said...

Loved reading this, thank you

Post a Comment