Monday, December 12, 2005

Like a Child

Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever then humbles himself as this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 18:3-4 (NASB)

When I was a child, I knew that my parents loved me and would always provide me with whatever I needed and protect me from harmful things. I knew they would comfort me when I was sad, doctor me when I hurt, and explain things I didn't understand. I never had to pretend with them because they loved me as I was. I knew sometimes they didn't like what I did, but they always loved me. They would never change or leave me. I was very fortunate to have parents like that.

I believe that God means for all of us to have--and to be--parents like mine; this kind of love mirrors his love for us. But as rare and wonderful as this kind of parental love is, it is not enough. We need God's unconditional love; only his love is perfect, whereas human love is flawed. We need him for our Father.

If we become like little children, we will trust him completely. We can depend on him to provide for all our needs. He will even help us sort out confusion and frustration. He may sometimes discipline us, but he never stops loving us. He will never change or go away.

Thank you, Lord, for being our Father. Help me to be like a little child, to walk hand in hand with you, knowing you will never let go.

1 comment:

David Michael said...

Judy,

Thank you for your kind words on Mike's blog. After reading your blog, I understand why you are sensitive to being the king of parent God wants us to be.

A blog you might enjoy reading is www.stevehawley.blogspot.com
Steve is a teacher also.

Merry Christmas!

Post a Comment