Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The Quiet

Every year, at least once, I catch a miserable cold, and my voice goes out, so that I can only make barely audible squeaks. It happened earlier than usual this year.

It’s funny how people react when you can barely talk . They get very quiet. In my classes, I have to point and give handouts and write on the chalkboard a lot—and turn out class early. The students listen very carefully and ask quiet questions. When they leave, they try not to make noise, and they walk slowly.

Yesterday, I went into a Subway to order sandwiches for my husband and me. The girl who waited on me hung on my every word. (She had to, to hear what I wanted.) And she asked me questions slowly and quietly.

Little children whisper to people with laryngitis. They are the ultimate sympathizers. We should take lessons from them.

~~~

Here is very touching web site: http://www.wtv-zone.com/Mary/PASSINGOFGENERATION.HTML
More about that generation soon.

~~~

I’ve been enjoying some great music lately: John Michael Talbot’s album “The Quiet”; Michael W. Smith’s “Freedom”; and several Christmas albums by Mannheim Steamroller, best instrumentalists of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment