Monday, August 28, 2006

Evangelical Methodists

Methodist churches are often accused of being . . . less than charismatic, shall we say. I have a theory that we Methodists became so organized during the post-WWII decades that we organized out the evangelical part of us; I think we craved order, after such a chaotic beginning of the 1900s.

We used to be a pretty rowdy bunch, I'm told; now we're pretty staid, according to our denominational reputation--mostly Sunday Christians. John Wesley, founder of Methodism in the 1700s, was very much an evangelical.

I found this web site while googling for Evangelical Methodist Churches. An interesting feature on it is this list of questions by Wesley:

Wesley's Self-Examination Quiz:

Here is one set of nearly two dozen questions which John Wesley gave to members of his discipleship groups more than 200 years ago. The questions may have their origin in the spiritual accountability group started by Wesley when he was a student at Oxford -- a group that detractors called "The Holy Club." Please recall that the EMM is committed to mentoring and accountability among men in order to be all that Christ (means) for a man to become.

1. Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I am better than I really am? In other words, am I a hypocrite?
2. Do I confidentially pass on to others what has been said to me in confidence?
3. Can I be trusted?
4. Am I a slave to dress, friends, work or habits?
5. Am I self-conscious, self-pitying, or self-justifying?
6. Did the Bible believe in me today?
7. Do I give the Bible time to speak to me every day?
8. Am I enjoying prayer?
9. When did I last speak to someone else of my faith?
10. Do I pray about the money I spend?
11. Do I get to bed on time and get up on time?
12. Do I disobey God in anything?
13. Do I insist upon doing something about which my conscience is uneasy?
14. Am I defeated in any part of my life?
15. Am I jealous, impure, critical, irritable, touchy or distrustful?
16. How do I spend my spare time?
17. Am I proud?
18. Do I thank God that I am not as other people, especially as the Pharisees who despised the publican?
19. Is there anyone whom I fear, dislike, disown, criticize, hold resentment toward or disregard? If so, what am I doing about it?
20. Do I grumble or complain constantly?
21. Is Christ real to me?

"Encourage one another daily . . . so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness." -- Hebrews 3:13

4 comments:

oakleyses said...

louis vuitton outlet, polo outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany jewelry, uggs on sale, louboutin pas cher, chanel handbags, gucci handbags, longchamp pas cher, louis vuitton outlet, nike free, ugg boots, burberry pas cher, louis vuitton, polo ralph lauren outlet online, nike roshe, michael kors pas cher, christian louboutin shoes, prada outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, replica watches, christian louboutin outlet, jordan shoes, prada handbags, sac longchamp pas cher, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, nike free run, air max, nike air max, christian louboutin, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin uk, nike outlet, oakley sunglasses wholesale, kate spade outlet, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, tory burch outlet, jordan pas cher, ugg boots, nike air max, polo ralph lauren, louis vuitton outlet

oakleyses said...

hollister pas cher, nike free uk, kate spade, guess pas cher, sac hermes, nike air max uk, michael kors outlet, vans pas cher, nike roshe run uk, michael kors outlet online, sac vanessa bruno, michael kors outlet, abercrombie and fitch uk, coach outlet, hogan outlet, uggs outlet, michael kors, michael kors outlet online, oakley pas cher, nike air max, mulberry uk, nike air max uk, true religion jeans, coach purses, hollister uk, burberry outlet, michael kors outlet online, new balance, nike tn, ralph lauren uk, ray ban uk, converse pas cher, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet online, north face, true religion outlet, polo lacoste, michael kors, michael kors outlet, true religion outlet, timberland pas cher, uggs outlet, coach outlet store online, north face uk, nike air force, burberry handbags, ray ban pas cher, lululemon canada, nike blazer pas cher

oakleyses said...

giuseppe zanotti outlet, ray ban, celine handbags, ghd hair, asics running shoes, gucci, babyliss, bottega veneta, converse, lululemon, hollister clothing, instyler, soccer shoes, mac cosmetics, nfl jerseys, ralph lauren, hollister, mont blanc pens, baseball bats, wedding dresses, mcm handbags, jimmy choo outlet, hermes belt, oakley, iphone cases, north face outlet, ferragamo shoes, longchamp uk, p90x workout, valentino shoes, vans outlet, vans, north face outlet, nike air max, herve leger, nike air max, hollister, new balance shoes, nike huaraches, beats by dre, chi flat iron, nike trainers uk, insanity workout, soccer jerseys, abercrombie and fitch, reebok outlet, timberland boots, converse outlet, louboutin, nike roshe run

oakleyses said...

pandora jewelry, canada goose outlet, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, moncler, moncler, juicy couture outlet, canada goose outlet, montre pas cher, pandora jewelry, swarovski crystal, marc jacobs, pandora charms, moncler, canada goose, ugg, swarovski, doudoune moncler, barbour uk, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, toms shoes, moncler uk, hollister, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, wedding dresses, moncler, canada goose, ugg pas cher, louis vuitton, moncler outlet, canada goose jackets, replica watches, links of london, moncler outlet, canada goose uk, karen millen uk, louis vuitton, lancel, ugg uk, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, pandora uk, supra shoes, barbour, coach outlet, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, thomas sabo

Post a Comment