Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Into Narnia

This morning I went through the wardrobe into Narnia.

My new plan is that every morning I will get up at 6:00, make coffee, and then read my Bible. Then at 6:45, I will go for a walk down the hill and back. That is what I did this morning. The air was cool—it rained last night--a “different” experience for this part of the country in August. The sky was dark blue with pink and gold streaks as the sun was beginning to rise. I could hear the whitewing doves’ song.

I had read Oswald Chambers’ "My Utmost For His Highest" devotional for today just before I walked. He talks about praying in secret, as the Bible says we should, rather than being show-offish about it. It made me think of going into C. S. Lewis’ Narnia through the secret opening in the back of the wardrobe. Narnia is symbolic of a life in Christ--closeness to God. As I walked, I prayed, and it seemed God was everywhere.

Chambers says, “Unless in the first waking moment of the day you learn to fling the door wide back and let God in, you will work on a wrong level all day; but swing the door wide open and pray to your Father in secret, and every public thing will be stamped with the presence of God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment